President Hill and Dean Chenette met with the Faculty of the English Department. During the meeting, President Hill is rumored to have told the faculty that she refuses to cave into “alumni pressure.”
So here’s my question: Is a two-day old blog really pressure? And to Alumnae/i who are reading or joining Mary Beth’s Facebook group, what concrete things can we do collectively?
- Poughkeepsie Journal? NYTimes?
- Form a fund for the Creative Writing Program?
- Reach out to Steven King and other High Profile Writers/Celebrities with connections to Vassar?
- Campus-wide professor boycott?
- Writing a formal letter to parents who pay tuition?
Cuts to the Creative Writing program is the tip of the ice-burg (sorry for the lame analogy). My concern is that Hill has already scheduled similar meetings with smaller Academic and Service Departments?